Thursday, December 10, 2009

Confused About Lincoln

So, my brother gave me his book The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History by Thomas E. Woods, Jr. Ph.D to borrow and read (before he even read it), and it has me either shocked or confused - see, I am too confused to even know if I am confused, haha.

This book quotes Lincoln - and I have found the quotes online, too, as saying that he didn't believe in equality between blacks and whites, and that he believed that whites should always be superior, and that if he could have saved the union without freeing slaves he would have. What the heck? Are these quotes true? I am thinking yes, but if so, why have we always been taught that Lincoln was a here? Why do we celebrate Lincoln's birthday? Why did my family and I take a trip to his hometown last summer?

Here are the links if you want to check this out yourself: scroll down on this link and you will find the quotes, and here you can find an article about this subject.

I have texted some of these same questions that I asked here to my - one year older, many years smarter - brother for his view on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment