Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I Am Hutterite... A Review...

I got this book to review from BookSneeze - I got the book for free, and these opinions are all my own. I finished it over the course of like three days.

I Am Hutterite by Mary-Ann Kirkby

The Author:

This book is written by Mary-Ann Kirkby. Mary-Ann was born about 50 years ago into a Hutterite colony in Canada.

The Story:

This book transcends the story of Mary-Ann Kirkby, it is about her ancestors and those who grew up around her. This book gives a history of the Hutterites, who are in my opinion, very similar to Amish.

Who This Book is For:

I Am Hutterite is for those who wish to learn more about the Hutterites, for those who like to learn about other cultures, and for those (like me) who just like reading auto-biographies.

What I Didn't Like:

I didn't like how this book just kind of jumped around, and didn't simply tell a story from start to finish.

I don't like how we never really get to know how Mary-Ann feels about her past, other than the fact that she tells her son to be proud of his heritage – the Hutterites, in a way, caused her brother to die (among other wrongs) and she doesn't ever share about any type of anger she may have towards them.

My Conclusion:

I give this book a 3 out of 5 stars, because it's just that, middlin'.

1 comment:

  1. I'm about a quarter into this book and it's a bit boring so far. She is an excellent author though...I'm was born and raised, and still live, in a Hutterite colony so I'll keep reading it...check out my blog if you can find the time!

    ReplyDelete