Monday, November 22, 2010

Review of Under the Overpass

Under the Overpass

Written by: Mike Yankoski
Published by: Multnomah

I have a passion for those living in poverty. I have a deep interest in the lives of those who live radically for Jesus. I chose to read this book because of my combination of those two.

This book follows Mike Yankoski, a college student, as he spends five months with the homeless on the streets of Denver, Washington DC, Portland, San Francisco, Phoenix, and San Diego. Mike learned over the course of those five months what it is like to be homeless, to be hungry and have no food, to need a bathroom but have none nearby, to be humbled, to feel unloved, to be alone.

Who the book is for:

Anyone who wants to learn what it is really like to be homeless. Any Christian who wants to be encouraged to step out of their comfort zone.

What I liked:

I really liked Mike’s honesty, he didn’t complain a lot, but he did share some of his true feelings. I am so thankful that he was willing to share a lot of what he went through during his five months on the streets.

I liked that there were lots of points throughout the book where I could easily pause and know where to come back to the next time I wanted to read it.

This book is written in a very easy to read style and I got through it quickly.

What I didn’t like:

There is nothing about this book that I didn’t like - from the cover, to the story, etc..

My conclusion:

I really enjoyed this book and I leave it feeling encouraged and lead to do something - I just don’t know what that is yet. This is a great book and I give it 5 out of 5 stars!

I received this book free to review from Multnomah. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment