Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Review of Love You More

Love You More
Written by: Jennifer Grant
Published by: Thomas Nelson

I am always interested in reading real-life stories, biographies and memoirs, etc.. I am also interested in adoption, and a story of someone who has adopted, such as this one, sounded like something I would be interested in.

Who the book is for:

Those interested in adoption.

What I liked:

This is an interesting story of a woman who adopts a little girl into her family.

What I didn’t like:

You can tell that the author is a journalist. I would have appreciated her telling the story in a more personal way than the way she choose.

Parts of the book seem to suggest that the author supports abortion/birth control, and I since I oppose both I didn’t appreciate her including those opinions in the book.

I don’t know if this necessarily counts as something that I didn’t like, but the author’s writing makes it sound as if it was solely her who adopted her daughter, not as if her and her husband shared the experience.

My conclusion:

This wasn’t the best book I’ve ever read, and it also wasn’t the worse. It wasn’t all I had hoped for, but it was, perhaps, worth reading once.

I give Love You More 3 out of 5 stars.

I received this book free to review from Thomas Nelson through BookSneeze. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

1 comment:

  1. I read this book as well, and loved it. I'm confused by your comment that you wanted her to tell the story in a more personal way. I thought she was very candid about her own struggles. From the first chapter: "I felt a growing distance from the "real" me...sitting at the end of the bed sometimes, wondering who I was, fearing that all of the layers, all of the complexity, all of the amazing life experiences I'd had in the past decade were being efficiently wiped up and folded into a paper towel, like somebody's spilled milk..." I think that's quite personal, and also universal--every woman questions her identity when she becomes a mom.
    I think Love You More is a great resource for anyone contemplating becoming a parent, whether via adoption or birth. The author has great insights on what it means to be intentional about family culture, but shares them with humor and humility--she's quick to admit she hasn't got it all figured out, but also to share the important questions she's pondering. A well-told, beautifully-written story of what it really means to be a family.

    ReplyDelete