Monday, October 24, 2011

My Review of As Silver Refined

As Silver Refined

Written by: Kay Arthur
Published by: Waterbrook Press

I had heard Kay Arthur’s radio programs many times, but had never read any of her books, so when I got the chance to read this one I thought I would give it a try.

This is a book about a variety of topics, all with the purpose of “refining” us.

What I liked:

I like how Kay Arthur shares quite a bit of Bible passages right in the book.

What I didn’t like:

Kay Arthur speaks of her divorce - before she was a Christian. She mentions that her and her husband had a fight that ended with him being abusive, and that she left after that fight… which makes sense to me. But then she states that God wouldn’t have wanted her to leave her husband. She goes on to say that her husband committed suicide a short time later, and it sounds as if she blames herself for his death. I don’t think that God would want us to live in an abusive relationship, and I don’t think that any book should ever suggest that we should as this one did - especially since Kay was the mother of young children at that time. This whole situation was enough for me to decide that I would not recommend this book to anyone.

Kay Arthur talks about depression as if it is a spiritual problem, not a medical problem - something that can be (and has been) argued about - something I disagree with.

This book was hard to read, and I had to force myself to finish it - taking much longer than I normally would for a book of it’s size.

My conclusion:

I disagreed with Kay Arthur on a few different points, I had difficulty getting through the book, I don’t recommend this book.

I give As Silver Refined 1 out of 5 stars.

I received this book free to review from WaterBrook Press through Blogging for Books. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment