Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My Review of The Fiddler


Written by: Beverly Lewis
Published by: Bethany House

Beverly Lewis is a (the most?) popular author of Amish fiction, and so I chose to read this book to see what I thought of her writing.

The Fiddler is the story of young woman who is torn between her dreams and living out her father’s dreams for her. This woman finds direction and love through an Amish community.

Who the book is for:

Those who especially love violins, fiddles, and the Amish.

What I liked:

I find it hard to say this, considering this was written by a well known and popular author, but there wasn’t much that I liked about this book.

I guess I can say that it could have been worse. There were parts that I enjoyed.

What I didn’t like:

The book was quite boring and I had to push myself to read the whole thing.

I disagree with how Beverly Lewis makes the Amish out to be right in their beliefs.

The story was quite far-fetched.

My conclusion:

I was really disappointed with this book, considering it is from Beverly Lewis. I am afraid that I cannot recommend it.

I give The Fiddler 2 out of 5 stars.

I received this book free to review from Bethany House. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.


3 comments:

  1. Yikes, sounds kind of like the author tried to push her own values onto others? Doesn't sound like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book, and yes, it isn't her best. But, I don't think she is trying to make us all become Amish, or saying that their beliefs are correct, because, after all, she isn't Amish! I think it's more of her writing from their point of view. I mean, they think their views are right, and we think ours are right. You see what I'm saying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that makes sense. :) Thanks for reading - and commenting!

      Delete