Monday, November 26, 2012

My Review of Red Letter Revolution


Written by: Shane Claiborne and Tony Campolo
Published by: Thomas Nelson

I was so excited when I first heard of this book… living out the life that Jesus demonstrated and preached has been something that I have always felt was the highest calling of Christians. Despite the fact that this book was written by two people who I knew tended to be a bit more “liberal” than I am, I still expected it to be a great read.



Who the book is for:

I can’t recommend this book.

What I liked:

The idea behind this book is great - living out Jesus’ messages found in the red letters of the Bible.

I really liked the chapter on giving, and the messages about how we should be helping people learn to care for themselves, instead of just doing everything for the poor and needy.

I appreciated the chapter on being pro-life.

The chapter on women was good, as it spoke of how men and women are equals…

What I didn’t like:

…but the same chapter says how Barbie dolls and toy guns are evil… really? What does that have to do with women, and just… really?

There is so much that I disagree on in this book including their view of homosexuality, war, welfare, etc..

There is one way to God, one way for faith, and it’s through Jesus… something that these authors don’t really affirm, as they share about how people of other faiths could as Christian as us…

I wish that they would have included more Bible verses to support their claims of what they feel Jesus would want us to do on each issue.

My conclusion:

I was very disappointed with this book.

I give Red Letter Revolution 1 out of 5 stars.

*I will not be keeping my copy of this book.

I received this book free to review from Booksneeze. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment