Thursday, March 28, 2013

My Review of What I Wish I Knew at 18


Written by: Dennis Trittin
Published by: Life Smart Publishing

I was excited to read and review What I Wish I Knew at 18, cause I thought it sounded like a good book that would make a great graduation gift… I found myself liking it for the first several chapters, then found a message that I would not feel right passing on to anyone.



Who the book is for:

This book was written for graduates and teens.

What I liked:

Lots of good messages and tips on relationships, finances, studying, and more…

What I didn’t like:

I am certainly glad that my parents didn’t “know” some of this back when they were “planning” their family…

Let me explain.

The author's view on starting a family:

You must be “mature enough and financially capable” before you start a family.
Only married people should have children (not only married people should have sex, but they are the only ones who should have children).
“Just being married is not sufficient to give a child his or her best opportunities.” No, he suggests that you hold off having kids until you are financially set to avoid divorce.

My view on starting a family:

If you are having sex, you best be ready to raise a child (I may be stepping on toes, but I disagree with birth control and abortion - and have a hard time supporting adoption as an option for parents who simply think they aren‘t financially ready to have a child.)

I am the seventh child born to a stay-at-home mom and a self employed - for the first several years of my life, before he worked more traditional jobs off and on - dad (who oftentimes didn’t have work)… were my parents “financially capable” of raising me? Most people - specifically this author - would say “no”. Yet I never went hungry. I never went without a roof over my head. And, most important, I am here today - I wouldn’t be if they had followed the author’s advice.

My conclusion:

I cannot recommend this book, all because of the chapter on starting a family. I am thoroughly disappointed with the authors view on that subject, and I wish that he had just chosen not to address such a controversial and personal issue.

I give What I Wish I Knew at 18 1 out of 5 stars.

I received this book free to review from Fly By Promotions. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment