Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My Review of The Christian Parenting Handbook


Written by: Dr. Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller, RN, BSN
Published by: Thomas Nelson

I was really looking forward to reading this book - despite the fact that I am not a parent.

I thought this book sounded like it would cover a wide range of topics, and I wanted to see if it was the kind of book that I could pass on to my siblings who are parents.



Who the book is for:

Parents, obviously. Covers parenting topics focused on all ages - with the exception of babies, but who needs a parenting book about them. Ha.

What I liked:

There are many good chapters that give solid advice - like taking breaks when you or your child are upset in the midst of an argument.

Easy to read and includes an index that will help you find the topic that you need when you need it.

What I didn’t like:

A lot of it becomes quite repetitive after awhile.

Now for a rant…
There is a chapter on spanking in this book. I noticed it before I started reading but made myself wait to read it until I had read most of the book so that I would not base my opinion of the entire book on that chapter. This chapter is an argument of “to spank or not to spank”. I really felt like this chapter did not fit in with the rest of the book - as this book is about teaching your children, disciplining them, not punishing them. The ideas in this book make so much sense, if you use them you wouldn’t need to spank and it just does not fit in with everything else covered in the book.
Despite what the authors of this book suggest, I do feel that spanking has negative effects on a child’s life, and I would never endorse it.
Therefore, this chapter ruined my perception of the book, regardless of the fact that I had read a lot of good before I came to it.

My conclusion:

I have very mixed feelings about this book. There are parts that I really like and a part or two that I really don’t like, and a whole lot of in between.

I really wanted to like this book and thought I was going to after the first couple of chapters…

I give The Christian Parenting Handbook 2 out of 5 stars.

*I don’t know what I will be doing with this book as I don’t feel comfortable passing it on because of the chapter on spanking, yet it has a lot of good info.

I received this book free to review from BookSneeze. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment