Friday, October 25, 2013

My Review of Cassie & Caleb Discover God's Wonderful Design

Published by: Moody Publishers
Written by: Susan Hunt and Richie Hunt

I am always excited to read new children’s books, and I usually end up liking them. I really wanted to like Cassie & Caleb Discover God’s Wonderful Design, too, but I just couldn’t do it…



The story:

This book tells about a brother and a sister, following them as they learn about how girls and boys are different.

The illustrations:

Aren’t anything extra special, but are still fun to look at.

How strong is the book?

This is a hardcover book and seems extra sturdy compared to some.

Who the book is for:

This book is for school aged children - ages five through eight.

What I liked:

Each section includes a Bible verse, and there are also other verses mixed in.

It’s fun to get to know the little family mentioned in the book and follow along with the characters.

What I didn’t like:

Includes a lot of stereotypes, such as girls are loud and boys are not… what about the boy reading the book who is louder than his sister - will this story make him struggle with his identity?

Talks about obedience, something that children have to learn about, yes… but it really has nothing to do with this book AND I don’t think most young children are going to enjoy reading about it in a fiction book like this - it made me feel uncomfortable as an adult.

Despite the fact that the book tries to imply that women and men are equal, there is still a bit of the submissive wife living under her husband’s rule mixed in… something that no child needs to read about.

My conclusion:

Overall, I found myself very disappointed with the book, and I cannot recommend it.

I give Cassie & Caleb Discover God’s Wonderful Design 2 out of 5 stars.


I received this book free to review from Moody. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment