Monday, November 11, 2013

A Children's Tale of Blended Families - My Review of The Four Seasons of Patrick

Written by: Susan Hughes
Published by: Red Deer Press

As I am working on writing and trying to get published, I am also trying to read as much as possible these days… which is why I decided to read and review The Four Seasons of Patrick.

This is a children’s book, so not really something that is age appropriate for me, yet I thought that the story of the blending of two families sounded interesting.

Nine year old Patrick has a hard time dealing with the fact that his dad is going to get married again, and he will be receiving a step mom and step sister very soon. He doesn’t feel like their house is large enough for everyone and seeks an escape through the building of a tree house.

Four Seasons of Patrick

Who the book is for:

This book has been written in a way that would appeal to children aged seven to ten, I would say.

What I liked:

The story is interesting and entertaining.

The story didn’t move along too fast.

The characters seemed very real to me.

I live the size and shape of the book.

What I didn’t like:

There is one big problem that I have with the book… it mentions that the dad is getting married, and then it goes on to say that his fiancĂ©e and her daughter will be moving in before the wedding. As a Christian, I have a problem with this… but I also feel that it is just overall inappropriate for a children’s book. There is no reason the couple needed to live together before marriage, so why even mention it. I thought this was a poor example for children, and it really messed up my opinion of the book.

My conclusion:

Overall, I found this book interesting, but also disappointing. Because of the content, I feel that I can’t really recommend it to any children.

I give The Four Seasons of Patrick 2 out of 5 stars.

I received this book free to review from the author. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment