Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Novel of Breaking Free from Drugs and Pain - My Review of Against the Gates of Hell

Written by: Mylow Young
Published by: Lift Every Voice Books

I enjoy reading contemporary fiction, especially when it includes a bit of suspense, so I was happy to read Against the Gates of Hell.

This book tells the story of twin brothers who are each struggling in their own ways after some very painful losses. Kerby is facing his pain by turning to drugs for help, while Herby struggles to deal with the change that his brother has made in his life.



Who the book is for:

Those who enjoy contemporary fiction that is a bit dark.

What I liked:

The story was interesting.

I enjoyed reading about the various relationships between the characters in the book.

Realistic in not making either man’s struggle look easy.

What I didn’t like:

Randomly switches between past and present tense.

There is a small amount of focus on “obedient” and “submissive” wives, which I found hard to agree with and read.

Lots of preaching and prayers that make the book a little boring.

My conclusion:

Overall, this was an interesting and unique read.

I give Against the Gates of Hell 3 out of 5 stars.

I received this book free to review from MPNewsroom. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment