Monday, November 25, 2013

Not Something I Would Read to Children - My Review of The Turtle's Shell

Published by: Lionpen Publishing
Written by: Vincent Eke
Illustrated by: Vincent Eke

I am always interested in reading children’s books, and that is why I chose to read and review The Turtle’s Shell.



The story:

This book tells the story of a group of animals who are hard up for food. When a turtle family discovers a new food source, they keep it a secret, despite the group’s agreement to share all the food that they find. Eventually, the turtles are found out, and this leads to a lot of trouble for them.

The illustrations:

Are interesting and kind of fun, but I don’t understand if this is supposed to be a coloring book? The pictures are simply black outlines, appearing ready to be filled in with markers or crayons.

How strong is the book?

This book seems extra flimsy compared to other paperback books, and I believe it might be because of it’s large size.

Who the book is for:

I wouldn’t recommend this to any children because of content issues mentioned below, but I believe it was written for ages four through eight, or so.

What I liked:

The story is written in an interesting way.

The story is divided into sections, sort of like chapters, so you can pause when reading it.

What I didn’t like:

Talk of “the gods” is, to me, inappropriate and confusing in a children’s book. I would never want my nephews or nieces reading this book just because of that.

The story is a bit violent and dark for young children, as well.

The story is really long for a children’s paperback book, with a lot of words on each page.

My conclusion:

Overall, I have to give this book a negative review.

I would recommend The Turtle’s Shell for children, and I give it 2 out of 5 stars.


I received this book free to review from the author. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment