Monday, December 2, 2013

An Amish Soap Opera in a book - My Review of For Every Season

Written by: Cindy Woodsmall
Published by: WaterBrook Press

I am not a huge fan of Amish fiction, and there is so much out there, but I will pick up a book on occasion, and that is why I chose to read For Every Season.

This is the story of a young Amish woman, Rhoda Byler, who is torn between her love for two Amish brothers. She doesn’t want to hurt either brother by choosing the other, but must follow her heart.
Rhoda also has the special power of seeing things, knowing things about people that she shouldn’t… and that causes some friction between her and the Englisch neighbors who have taken her in.



Who the book is for:

Those who enjoy Amish fiction, who have read the first two books in the Amish Vines and Orchards series.

What I liked:

Doesn’t display the Amish completely positively, as an Englisch man who works for the orchard explains why he would never become Amish and how he doesn’t think the rules that they follow are necessary - he is a Christian and a good person, just not Amish.

Interesting and enjoyable story at times.

What I didn’t like:

I got so lost in the beginning with the many characters and the fact that I should have known who they were if I had read the first two books in the series. Can’t really start at this book if you haven’t read the rest of the series.

Sudden ending that happened too quickly and simply.

Random thing that wasn’t a big deal… I hate when authors write about children and portray them all wrong for their age. The three year old character in this book acts more like a one year old - or two, at oldest. I’m picky for that kind of thing.

My conclusion:

Overall, this was an okay read.

I give For Every Season 3 out of 5 stars.

I received this book free to review from Blogging for Books. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment