Monday, February 3, 2014

A Story of Past and Present England - My Review of The Vicar's Wife

Written by: Katharine Swartz
Published by: Lion Hudson

I chose to read and review The Vicar’s Wife because it combines both historical fiction and contemporary fiction, and I expected to enjoy the contemporary parts and skim the others - I was wrong, though…

This book tells the story of two women living in England; Jane, a modern day mom who moves their with her family after going through some trouble with her oldest daughter in the US, and Alice, a woman who lived in Jane’s same home back in the nineteen hundreds.



Who the book is for:

Women, specifically. Those who are interested in learning about another culture - specifically England.

What I liked:

I was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed the historical parts.

I identified with Jane’s feelings in regard to being in a foreign land.

What I didn’t like:

There’s not really anything Christian about this book, which kind of surprised me.

Took awhile for me to get interested in the stories.

My conclusion:

Overall, this was an okay read.

I give The Vicar’s Wife 3 out of 5 stars.

I received this book free to review from Kregel Blog Tour. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment