Thursday, March 20, 2014

Scripture Verses Organized for Families - My Review of Parenting with Scripture

Written by: Kara Durbin
Published by: Moody Publishers

I am always interested in reading and reviewing parenting books, despite the fact that I'm not a parent, myself. I was excited to check this one out, in particular, because God is the ultimate authority on parenting.

Parenting with Scripture is a topical reference book that has scriptures listed for various issues that a parent might face, such as anger or guilt. It also includes ideas on how to apply those verses to your life and lives of your children.



Who the book is for:

Parents, obviously.

What I liked:

The amount of categories is great - there are so many topics covered.

The fact that this book shares the actual verses, not just their references, is nice.

What I didn’t like:

Some of the parts that the author wrote seem to expect and require perfection from your children. I think maybe God would be more focused on parents displaying grace to their children rather than using the Bible to beat them down. Maybe that's a bit harsh...

Some of the verses are taken a bit out of context or don't exactly apply to the topic just because they have that keyword in them.

My conclusion:

Overall, I'm not really a fan of this book. There are better parenting resources out there.

I give Parenting with Scripture 3 out of 5 stars.

I received this book free to review from MPNewsroom. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment