Sunday, March 30, 2014

Theologically Off - My Review of Little Pilgrim's Progress

Written by: Helen L. Taylor
Published by: Moody Publishers

I have never read the whole, actual Pilgrim’s Progress book. Being a bit lazy, I thought the kids’ version might be more suitable for me.

Little Pilgrim’s Progress is based off the classic book from John Bunyan, and it tells two stories – one of Christian, and one of Christiana – as the two children make their way to the “Celestial City”.


Who the book is for:

Definitely not for your children. If I was going to recommend this book to anyone, it would be for preteens on up.

What I liked:

The short chapters are nice.

This book was relatively interesting and easy to read.

What I didn’t like:

Parts of this book are quite dark – much too dark for young children.

A lot of the theology is off; I don’t believe that God punishes people here on earth for the wrong that they have done, such as when Christian is whipped by the King’s servant; I also think it is weird that the book mentions repeatedly about Christian reuniting with his mom in the Celestial City, and how they will know each other, since the Bible says something that is sort of the opposite.

My conclusion:

Overall, I am still confused by certain aspects of this book, and I really didn’t find it enlightening at all.

I give Little Pilgrim’s Progress 2 out of 5 stars.


I received this book free to review from MPNewsroom. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment