Thursday, May 1, 2014

Real and Honest - My Review of No More Perfect Kids

Written by: Jill Savage and Kathy Koch, PhD
Published by: Moody

I love to read parenting books, despite the fact that I am not a parent. And, despite the fact that I usually find myself disagreeing with the authors.

No More Perfect Kids was one of the few parenting books that I actually couldn't find any problems with. The authors didn't endorse any kind of extreme parenting or punishment, and they were very real and honest.



Who the book is for:

Parents, any parents. Or, those like me who just enjoy reading parenting books.

What I liked:

This book was very real and honest, and I appreciated that. It goes a long way in a book where someone is trying to teach other people and encourage them to better living, when they tell about their own struggles and challenges that they have faced.

One thing that I particularly like about the parenting advice from these authors is the fact that they suggest giving your child a five minute warning whenever possible when you are asking the child to do something - such as come down to supper. Like the author said, us adults don't like to have our plans suddenly interrupted, and we shouldn't make our kids face that, either. Too many parenting books demand that your children do everything that you say the moment that you say it... this was a refreshing change.

Lots of good advice on parenting all ages and types of kids, as well as information on how no one is the perfect parent raising the perfect kids, so that you can relax and stop striving for that.

What I didn’t like:

The chapters are kind of random and they jump around from topic to topic, rather than focusing on one big issue.

My conclusion:

Overall, this was a good parenting book and I appreciated the authors' take on it all.

I give No More Perfect Kids 4 out of 5 stars.

I received this book free to review from MPNewsroom. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment