Monday, August 4, 2014

Not Completely Theologically Sound - My Review of My Happy Pumpkin

Published by: ZonderKidz
Written by: Crystal Bowman
Illustrated by: Claudine Gevry

I love receiving new children’s books to read and review. I like to share the ones that I find interesting and good with my nieces and nephews. I was excited to receive My Happy Pumpkin to read and review.


The story:

This book is a rhyming story about a pumpkin that was carved, and how God makes his children new just like his children made the pumpkin new.

The illustrations:

Are kind of cute, but I’ve seen cuter.

How strong is the book?

This is a solid and sturdy boardbook that won’t fall apart the moment children get a hold of it.

Who the book is for:

Babies and toddlers and maybe some preschoolers.

What I liked:

The rhyming text is nice/makes it easy and fun to read.

The idea is cute.

Gives a nod to Halloween in a way that won’t offend those Christians who don’t celebrate the holiday.

What I didn’t like:

This book isn’t exactly theologically sound. I didn’t like how the book emphasizes being good and obedient as if that is the way to be saved.

My conclusion:

Overall, I’m not exactly a fan of this book.

I give My Happy Pumpkin 3 out of 5 stars.



I received this book free to review from BookLook. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment