Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Statements Made Aren't Backed Up by the Bible - My Review of Answering Your Kids' Toughest Questions

Written by: Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson
Published by: Bethany House

As adults, there are often questions that children will bring up that we might not feel confident answering. I chose to read this book when offered it to review, to see if it might shed some light on those kinds of questions.

Answering Your Kids’ Toughest Questions is supposed to be a book of biblically based answers to some of the questions that children will wonder about.


Who the book is for:

This book was written for parents.

What I liked:

I really liked the portion of the book that shared about how Satan is not equal in power with God – that gave me some food for thought.

I liked that the portion on sexual abuse made sure to emphasize the fact that you should tell children that the abuse is not their fault.

What I didn’t like:

The book states that all things that aren’t outrightly loving God or your neighbor are sins – and it used snapping your fingers as an example! What?! I really got caught at that part of the book and had a hard time moving on, but I had to keep reading to see what other lies might be in the book.

This book makes a lot of strong statements without offering any biblical references to back them up – merely, the authors’ point of view, then.

My conclusion:

Overall, I wished that I could like this book, but I don’t. Think for yourself. Do some research of your own when children ask tough questions. Talk to a trusted Christian if you need help. Don’t read this book.



I received this book free to review from Bethany House. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment