Tuesday, January 26, 2016

All About Discipline - My Review of Strong and Kind

Published by: W Publishing Group, An Imprint of Thomas Nelson
By: Korie Robertson, with Chrys Howard and Willie Robertson

I am not someone who has ever watched Duck Dynasty, but I have siblings who enjoy the show and find it humorous. I decided to read and review Strong and Kind because I thought that it sounded interesting and because I had heard a lot about the Robertsons and wanted to find out just who they were when it came to parenting.



Who the book is for:

This book is written for parents, and it seems that it's most applicable to those whose children are still relatively young. Personally, though, I think that there are better parenting books out there.

What I liked:

I like the way that Korie Robertson is real with the reader, she tells real stories about her family and their lives and the parenting that she does.

I like the short chapters.

There are some good lessons in the book. I like the fact that the author mentions a few times that the parents need to lead by example.

What I didn’t like:

I don't think that the Jesus who said "Let the little children come to me" would be in favor of a father holding those little children firmly in place, no matter how upset that made them, so that they would learn to be perfect little angels during a church service. But, that is mentioned and recommended in this book.

I do not like the idea of other parents disciplining your kids, but that is mentioned in this book.

Knocks child psychology and parents being "in love" with their children.

I don't believe that letting a ten month old baby cry while staying with a babysitter so that the mom can have some time to herself is good for them, though in this book Korie Robertson mentions that she did that to teach her baby that he wasn't in control.

I really wasn't expecting this book to be so focused on discipline. Even the chapter on love focused on the need to discipline because you love the child, rather than focusing on teaching a child how to be loving or showing your child that you love them.

My conclusion:

Overall, I wasn't a fan of this book.

I give Strong and Kind 2 out of 5 stars.

I received this book free to review from BookLook Bloggers. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment